Saturday, October 17, 2015

How good is a design if the law behind it isn't enforced?

I was pleased last week to talk with the Associated Press and just see their article ("Peppier handicapped symbol gets support, but problems remain") on the new icon of access:
 


Finally, a more nuanced discussion of what a symbol might mean. . . Of course, as a disabled person, my relation to the International Symbol of Access is complex:

"On the face of it, it seems like a really positive step to take," said Elizabeth Guffey, a professor of art and design history at State University of New York at Purchase. "When you start thinking about it more fully, it brings up more questions."
Indeed, I have a great deal more to say about the older symbol, and its usage. I've grown so tired of able-bodied people parking in spots designated for the disabled that I've begun photographing cars I find doing this. This car had no hangtag and was parked (illegally) in the last disabled parking spot at my work. Using my hangtag, I parked in a metered space next to it. When I returned, I got a parking ticket, but this person did not. How good is a design if the law behind it isn't enforced?